A sinus lift, sometimes called sinus augmentation or sinus elevation, is a dental surgery that many people are unfamiliar with. However, in some dental implant situations, it is important.
To learn more about sinus lifts, why they may be needed, and how they might help dental implant patients, get in touch with your dentist today.
What is a Sinus Lift?
Oral and maxillofacial surgeons or skilled implant dentists perform sinus lift surgery in Gibsonton. It entails implanting bone material in the upper jaw’s posterior (rear) region, specifically in the area of the maxillary sinuses. The goal of a sinus lift is to create enough space and support for dental implants to be placed.
Why is a Sinus Lift Necessary?
Insufficient Bone Density
One of the most common causes of a sinus lift is a lack of bone in the upper jaw to support dental implants. The existence of the maxillary sinuses can limit the amount of accessible bone in this region, necessitating the lifting of the sinus membrane and the addition of bone graft material to build a firm foundation for implants.
Tooth Loss and Bone Resorption
When teeth are lost or extracted, the bone that supports them can begin to resorb or shrink over time. This can further diminish the accessible bone volume in the upper jaw, necessitating a sinus lift for implant implantation.
Advanced Periodontal Disease
Bone loss surrounding teeth is common in patients with severe periodontal disease. If this condition affects the upper jaw, a sinus lift may be required before implant implantation to restore the missing bone.
Natural Anatomical Variations
Some people are born with a lower sinus level or a thinner upper jaw bone, making implant placement challenging without first elevating the sinus floor.
The Sinus Lift Procedure
An experienced oral surgeon or periodontist typically performs a sinus lift surgery near you. Here is what the procedure entails:
- Anesthesia: A local anesthetic is used to numb the area, keeping the patient comfortable and pain-free throughout the treatment.
- Incision: The oral surgeon makes a tiny incision in the gum tissue to reveal the underlying bone.
- Lifting the Sinus Membrane: The surgeon gently lifts the sinus membrane, creating a space between the membrane and the jawbone.
- Bone Graft: Bone graft material, which is commonly derived from the patient’s own body or a donor, is inserted in the created space to increase bone density.
- Healing: Sutures are used to close the incision, and the healing process begins. The bone graft integrates with the existing bone over time, forming a robust foundation for dental implants.
Significance of Sinus Lift Surgery
- Enhanced Implant Success: A sinus lift guarantees that there is enough bone mass to support dental implants properly, considerably enhancing the implant procedure’s success rate.
- Improved Aesthetics and Functionality: Dental implants that a strong bone foundation supports appear and feel like natural teeth, restoring the patient’s smile, speech, and chewing ability.
- Preservation of Facial Structure: Bone deterioration and tooth loss are two factors that can result in a sunken face. Maintaining bone density with a sinus lift can preserve patients’ facial structure and overall appearance.
If you are considering dental implants and your dentist advises oral surgery in Gibsonton, it is essential that you thoroughly discuss the operation and address any concerns you may have. Finally, a sinus lift can be an important step in achieving a functional and attractive smile.
Rest, pain treatment, swelling reduction with ice packs, and eating soft foods for approximately a week are all part of the recovery process after a sinus lift procedure. Follow your oral surgeon’s recommendations to ensure a smooth recovery, which can take many months before dental implant installation.
Discover Dental Solutions with Us to Renew Your Oral Well-being
Orange Blossom Dental Surgery is committed to assisting you in identifying dental solutions that will restore your oral health. Our skilled team of dental professionals provides a variety of services to meet your individual requirements and concerns. We have the skills to provide you with individualized and comprehensive care, whether you require preventive care, restorative treatments, aesthetic enhancements, or specialist oral surgery near you.
Schedule a consultation with us today and embark on a journey towards better oral health and a brighter smile.